German GM Falko Bindrich Denies Accusations in Cheating

Время публикации: 28.10.2012 02:43 | Последнее обновление: 28.10.2012 12:56

Another stage fo the German Bundesliga has started a week ago. It has been immediately marked with a scandal. In Sunday's Round 2, Falko Bindrich's (2532) game against Sebastian Siebrecht was declared lost for Bindrich, who refused to show his smartphone after the arbiter asked him to do so.


22-year-old Falko Bindrich: "Why should I be proving I'm innocent?"   

The match between SC Eppingen and Katernberg was played on Sunday. It's said that the member of Eppingen team went to the toilet while it was his move, something he had allegedly done more than once during his Saturday game as well. The arbiter followed the Bundesliga regulations allow the arbiter to search a player's clothes, bags or other pieces of luggage and asked the player to show his smartphone. Falko Bindrich refused to do so. 

Bindrich denies he was cheating. He rjected the suspicion and declared that his smartphone was "always switched off" in a document of five A4. The German Schach-Ticker published his statement, while Chessvibes translated it into English. 

Namely, Bindrich tells about his Saturday's game against Tregubov saying he got the same line had played against Andrei Istratescu, three weeks earlier in the Swiss league. He points out that he made use of his analysis of that game, including the exchange sacrifice he played. "However, after reaching a clear advantage I didn't play the best way possible, as anyone who plays through the game at home can easily establish." Nevertheless, Bindrich won, but "After the game Pavel Tregubov hesitated to shake hands with me, and felt very insulted." 

Then Bindrich goes on with the Sunday's game against siebrecht. "After an hour I had visited the toilet for the second time (It was Sunday morning - I think it is normal to visit the toilet after breakfast?) to do what someone does at the toilet. The notion that I went to the toilet while it was my move, is simply false. A number of witnesses present can confirm this. In my 15 years spanning career, I have never done this. "

GM also notes that he wasn't the only one who went to the toilet more than once, and wonders why he was investigated. 

The arbiter stopped him when he was back to the table. Then he was asked to show his smartphone. Bindrich refused to empty his pockets and show his mobile. He continues to emphasize that his game against Tregubov wasn't played perfectly by him. Bindrich describes how he was followed to the toilet several times, and how the arbiter and his opponent looked under the door "if his feet showed anything suspicious". Then he says: "How far have we come? Tracking, spying, eavesdropping in the toilet?"

Bindrich explains his refusal to show his smartphone: "First and foremost, I see it as a direct invasion of my privacy. I cannot just allow anyone access to my phone. It contains my private data (very private images and messages) and sensitive business data. I should protect this. Releasing this data would cost me my job, and I'd damage important relationships. I could not take this risk. It is true that I have, like many chess players, a chess app on my phone which has chess analysis stored, including an analysis of my game on Saturday against Tregubov, which I had entered after the game in my hotel room."

GM wonders why he should be proving his innocence: "In principle this is not acceptable to me. The rule of law has a higher value to me. (...) Luckily, we are protected by human and civil rights in our lives, so why should we give this up in chess? This new rule will allow arbiters, theoretically, to investigate and harass any player who has visited the toilet two times, which they can call "reasonable suspicion"!

Finally Bindrich notes that he wasn't informed on the new Bundesliga regulation which allows the arbiter to search players. The President of the German Chess Federation Herbert Bastian gave a short statement on the federation's website. "The only one who has jurisdiction in this matter is the Director of the first Bundesliga, Jürgen Kohlstädt. He has given the affected player and his team the possibility to express their views and to be heard until November 2, 2012." Until then the Federation "will not express an opinion in this discussion."


  


Смотрите также...